Slow Food’s “Snail of Approval” program inspires producers, chefs, restaurant owners and food outlets to use and promote good, clean and fair ingredients from local ingredients.
Businesses undertaking Slow Food activities can apply to bear the Snail of Approval on their business/premises, if they produce food which is good, clean and fair.
Inaugural Snail of Approval Annual Awards
There were 10 recipients of the 2019 awards in our SF berry to JB area.
We would like to congratulate the following businesses
South on Albany
Kangaroo Valley Olives
Kangaroo Valley Harvest
The General Café
Main Deck Café
Relates to food that is seasonal, local, high quality, flavourful and healthy.
Clean food is food that uses sustainable production techniques with minimal environmental impact.
Ensures that pay for producers, their staff, and working conditions are fair.
Benefits to your business/Slow Food Activity:
- Snail of Approval decal to be displayed at your place of business/Slow Food Activity.
- Use of the Slow Food Berry to Jervis Bay Snail of Approval logo on your menus and/or publicity materials in accordance with our guidelines.
- Listing on the Slow Food Berry to Jervis Bay website directory of recognised businesses.
- Included in the International directory of Slow Food producers and eateries – Slow Food Planet mobile application.
- Slow Food operates in over 150 different countries, so tourists, especially those from Europe, other parts of Australia, Asia and North America, realize the significance of the snail and often choose to patronize establishments that comply with Slow Food principles.
Who can apply?
Businesses/Slow Food Activities that support the philosophy of Good, Clean and Fair food. That are based in the area from Berry to Jervis Bay. Nominations can come from growers, restaurants, cafes, food artisans, retail outlets. Successful applicants must be, or make application to be members of Slow Food Berry to Jervis Bay.
What does it cost?
The application process is free.
It is expected that successful applicants support the Slow Food movement by becoming (or already are) members of Slow Food Berry. Click here to go to our Membership Page.
The Snail of Approval is a recognition program for food producers, artisans, retail outlets, restaurants, cafes etc. which demonstrate a philosophy of adopting earth friendly practices.
These might include reduction in the use of chemicals, use of local and low food mile ingredients, preserving vanishing animal breeds and plant varieties, animal friendly practices, support of small producers, striving to create food that is Good, Clean and Fair.
Importantly the Snail of Approval award recognises effort and intent, and should not be seen as an accreditation for any of these areas.
The Snail of Approval program recognises that adoption of these practices fall on a continuum and is not a recognition of perfection.
It is envisaged that once in the Snail of Approval program, businesses will find opportunities for improvement towards Good, Clean and Fair food for all.
For more information, Click Here to email us through our contact form.